In a press release issued by Con Edison, residents and businesses are advised to take actions now that can help offset expected increases in electricity and natural gas charges this winter. The company offers energy savings tips, payment assistance options as well as energy efficiency incentives when customers make upgrades to their homes. Con Ed estimates that Westchester residential customers, using the same amount of kilowatt hours of energy as last winter, will experience a 27% increase. Here are some tips they recommend:
- Set thermostats at the lowest comfortable temperature. Each degree lower decreases heating costs.
- Make sure heating vents are not blocked by furniture, carpeting or anything else that could affect the flow of heat.
- Have a qualified contractor clean and inspect heating systems.
- Insulate hot-water pipes and warm-air ducts that pass through unheated areas. Clean or replace filters for the hot-air furnace and heat-pump.
- Swap out window shades seasonally. LIght-colored window coverings reflect the sun's energy, while darker ones absorb it and release heat.
- Replace conventional light bulbs with LED bulbs, which are up to 10 times more efficient, and are widely available and affordable.\
Please click here to view the entire press release from Con Edison.